Aims and Fit of Module
This is a compulsory module for both streams of the BA China Studies.
As China continues to grow and develop, there is increasing interest around the world in the country and its language. The study of the Chinese language is increasing in Europe, the United States and around the world. This module aims to:
• To focus on present-day Chinese and explain how it is developing as a global language;
• To map the territory where Chinese is spoken in the world nowadays and focus on a number of varieties;
• To discuss if and when Chinese could replace English as THE world Language
• To enable students to reflect on key issues in international communication derived from the use of Chinese as a global language;
• To help students develop a critical understanding of Global Chinese and its impact on cultural identity;
A reflect critically on the reasons for the development of Chinese as a global language
B explain the dynamics and impact of the expansion of Chinese language
C Understand and evaluate the impact of Chinese language on global business and global media
Method of teaching and learning
The teaching will use a combination of lectures followed by tutorials, where ideas from the lectures can be further developed. It is intended that the lectures and tutorials are linked together by themes.