Aims and Fit of Module
Students will carry out an individual project under the supervision of a member of academic staff. They will report findings both verbally and in writing. The purpose of the project is as follows.
• To provide students with the opportunity to plan, carry out and control a research project at the forefront of their academic discipline, field of study or area of professional practice.
• To prepare students for research or investigative work as a professional engineer or computer scientist.
• To enable students to gain a comprehensive understanding of the techniques applicable to research.
• To make an original contribution to knowledge.
The dissertation must provide evidence of the following.
• An in-depth understanding of the subject area chosen for the dissertation.
• A mastery of research techniques relevant to the topic area.
• The ability to collect and analyse empirical data.
• The ability to evaluate project outcomes.
Demonstrate a critical awareness and understanding of the relevant scientific literature associated with the project;
B. Understand all aspects of working as an engineer or computer scientist in the planning, design and execution of academic or technical activities to solve specific problems;
C. Define a problem, gather and evaluate research information, manage risks, analyse data and propose new technologies;
D. Use appropriate analysis software, IT tools or research equipment necessary to carry out relevant experimental, laboratory, or workshop activities;
E. Effectively communicate project work and findings through a formal presentation and/or structured dissertation thesis;
F. Demonstrate understanding and participation in the legal, social, ethical and professional framework in systems, software or information engineering.
Method of teaching and learning
Regular meetings/consultations with supervisor; laboratory and other investigative work under direct/indirect supervision (as appropriate); preparation of project specification and final thesis, poster or web-page and oral presentation.