This module aims to:
• Outline the characteristics of the different media sectors and their respective value chain and business models.
• Analyse the regulatory frameworks and industry standards in the media sectors.
• Formulate principles of effective management.
• Provide a detailed look at the major areas of responsibility that are the concern of the managers of media organizations, as well as at different management styles and organisational cultures.
• Provide case studies that foster critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
By the end of the module, the students should:
A. Develop an understanding of the structure of the various media sectors, their value chain, business models and regulatory frameworks.
B. Identify managerial challenges and propose possible solutions to problems arising in the current media environment.
C. Gain insight into the economic forces affecting the media.
D. Demonstrate familiarity with specialized terminology and apply the notions learnt throughout the module to the Asian/Chinese context.