• To provide an overview of the principles underpinning the practice of interpreting
• To provide basic interpreting skills practice by discussing the similarities and differences between Interpreting and Translation;
• To focus on the social role of the interpreter and the range of functions of modern day interpreting;
• To develop an awareness of the characteristics of simultaneous and consecutive interpretation;
• To practice note-taking skills to enhance the accuracy of interpreting;
• To highlight the ethical and practical cognitive and decision-making procedures involved in the various interpreting tasks
A. determine the main differences between the activities of interpreting and translating;
B. raise awareness of ethical and practical issues involved in interpreting;
C. do simultaneous and consecutive interpretation for general topics;
D. demonstrate the basic skills involved in simultaneous interpretation;
E. demonstrate the basic skills involved in consecutive interpretation.
The teaching sessions are divided into two components (Lectures and Tutorials/workshops).