• To introduce students to the study of media language with a particular focus on visual and moving images and their production contexts;
• To study aspects of narrative (narration) and visual style texts;
• To develop skills in close textual analysis and apply these skills to interpreting contemporary media texts;
• To discuss how the production of visual media is deeply influenced by social, cultural, political and historical factors;
• To implement an analytic framework by means of a video essay and reflect upon it.
A) Make use of close textual analysis for visual material making use of different approaches discussed in class.;
B) Demonstrate a sound understanding of the key theories that define the relationship between visual media and society;
C) Show an understanding of the significance of social factors as well as technological factors in the production of media texts;
D) Understand the principles behind the production of video essays;
Lecture, Tutorial/Workshops and Blended Online Learning Activities will account for classroom contact time.