This module is designed for students who have already demonstrated a high level of language ability in their Year 1 Semester 1 EAP modules, but who would like to further enhance their analytical and technical writing skills. It aims to extend students’ English language, critical thinking and independent learning skills, with a particular focus on the development of English writing ability.
A Demonstrate the ability to produce a written report based on research that is related to their field of study which develops an argument and accurately synthesizes information from a number of sources.
B Demonstrate an understanding of writing genres related to their area of study.
C Select appropriate reference sources with a large degree of independence and integrate these into written work.
D Demonstrate full competence in strategies to avoid plagiarism.
• Students will have 4 hours per week of interactive seminar classes focused on writing skills, with the addition of reading skills relevant to producing an academic piece of writing.
• Learning will take place via reading assignments, discussion sessions, individual and group project work, and formative written work.
• Students will have a 1 hour lecture per week. This will normally consist of a large group session where a writing task is explained and assigned. Follow-up activities will then take place in the next seminar session.
• Students will receive regular formative feedback on their writing during the module, to facilitate improvements in their writing ability.
• No more than 4 teaching hours on this module will be replaced with one-to-one or group tutorials.
• Students will be advised on a guided programme of self-study in order to help them adequately progress through the on-going assessment and meet the learning outcomes of the module.