• Develop an understanding of photovoltaic solar energy conversion, provide an overview of solar cell operation and analyse photovoltaic systems as a power generation technology.
• Provide a basic understanding of the theory and practice of batteries and related devices and to appreciate the challenges facing their design and operations. To outline the role of the electrochemical approaches for energy conversion and storage; and introduce the essential concepts in the fuel cells, battery, and chemical capacitors development. Other energy storage devices such as flywheel and superconducting magnet will be discussed.
• Provide a knowledge of the practical advantage and limitations of various types of batteries and solar cells (and related devices).
• To appreciate the role of solar energy conversion devices with respect to other technologies.
• To understand the potential of hybrid systems based on the electrochemical and sustainable technologies for energy conversion and storage
A. Gain the knowledge and understanding of electrochemical routes to energy conversion, the role of electrochemical power sources in energy storage, important developments in battery technology for power system, the relative merits of batteries, solar radiation as an energy source, solar cell operation and manufacture, design and operation of a photovoltaic system, and solar power systems.
B. Be knowledgeable about solar power systems & their applications, batteries, and different storage systems, fuel cells and chemical capacitors, hybrid systems.
C. Tackle simple problems in energy conversion and storage, analyze solar radiation in energy terms, describe the fundamentals of photovoltaic energy conversion, assess the operation and manufacture of a solar cell, identify and size a photovoltaic system for a given application, tackle some problems of energy conversion using batteries and solar cells, appreciate the strengths and limitations of various electrochemical methods.
D. Quantitatively describe the performance of batteries and solar cells in a specific application. To be able to evaluate the energy density, power density and other main electrochemical characteristics of fuel cells, battery, and chemical capacitors.
This module will be delivered through a combination of formal lectures, tutorials, and oral presentations.