The student will carry out an individual project under the supervision of a member of staff. He/she will report findings both orally and in writing.
The purpose of the project is:
• to provide students with the opportunity to plan, carry out and control a research project at the forefront of their academic discipline, field of study or area of professional practice
• to prepare students for research or investigative work in professional engineering
• to enable students to gain a comprehensive understanding of the techniques applicable to research
• to make an original contribution to knowledge.
The dissertation must provide evidence of:
• in-depth understanding of the subject
• mastery of research techniques
• ability to assemble and analyse data
• ability to evaluate the project outcomes.
A. Understand all aspects of working as an individual engineer in plan, design and performance of academic or technical activities to solve specific problems.
B. Master necessary intellectual abilities to define a problem, gather and evaluate research information, manage risks, analyze data and propose new technologies.
C. Have practical skills in using appropriate engineering analysis software and IT tools, as well as using sophisticated research equipment to carry out experimental/laboratory/workshop activities.
D. Show experience and enhancement of the skills in dealing with complex issues, effective communication and interacting, necessary IT skills, and self-management in tackling and solving problems.
Regular meetings/consultations with supervisor; laboratory and other investigative work under direct/indirect supervision (as appropriate); preparation of proposal, interim and final reports, poster or web-page and oral presentation.