1. To help the students understand the classification and characteristics of environmental pollution.
2. To provide students with a basic knowledge of the current status of environmental pollution in China and of up-to-date environmental quality standards and related pollutant control and emission standards.
3. To introduce knowledge on general procedures of measuring familiar pollution parameters e.g. air, water and soil samples, including choosing sampling sites and methods of sampling, sample storage and pretreatment.
4. To help students understand the related analysis instruments’ basic composition and operation principles.
5. To give students hand-on experience in analysis of real environmental samples.
A. Demonstrate knowledge on general pollution parameters for monitoring different environmental samples and the different methods in measuring most popular ones.
B. Understand the operation principles of the instruments used in the experiments.
C. Demonstrate their understanding of the whole process of sample collection, storage and transport of samples, sample pre-treatment, qualitative or quantitative measurement and data processing.
D. Describe a range of common environmental pollutants relative to environmental standards and interpret environmental pollutant data.
E. Develop the ability to plan for and execute a series of experiments and use the laboratory instruments under guidance to generate the data, as well as to evaluate and interpret these qualitative or quantitative data.
F. Demonstrate their ability to report scientific information through a range of written scientific documents.
This module will be delivered by a combination of lectures, workshop and field/lab experiments. Two hour lecture sessions will be given every week supported by class notes and additional reading materials. Workshops will be delivered every week before every experiment, providing the necessary information and instruction for the experiment procedures and related instruments. Seven field/lab experiments will be carried out during the semester to provide hand-on experience of measuring general pollution parameters for different environmental matrix. Students will present their experiment results in a paper, a poster as well as two experiment reports.