The main aims of the module are:
• To acquaint students with fundamental concepts and principles of language teaching and learning;
• To inform students of a historical overview of the changes in language teaching methodology in the last century, with a focus on contemporary practices.
• To examine the mainstream teaching methodology in detail and to explore how different methods contribute to the process of language teaching and language learning.
To explore the roles of teachers and learners across methods to help the students make informed decisions in their language teaching practice.
Upon completion of this module, students should be able to:
• Understand a variety of aspects of TESOL methodology, including various classroom techniques , teacher’s role etc.;
• Critically examine the impact of various approaches to language teaching on language learning;
• Make informed decisions about teaching, based on current TESOL practices;
• Incorporate appropriate teaching techniques into their own teaching practice;
• Support the learning process through teaching;
Design effective tasks and learning activities.
The teaching sessions are divided into two components: lectures and tutorials/workshops.